Instructor: Ms. Beussman
Phone: 507-647-5382 ext. 2297
Available hours for extra help: Before school at 7:45 or earlier by appointment, after school, 2nd hour.
Students will develop skills in the straightforward language of the business world. Projects will include: business letters, memoranda, resume´, press releases, visuals, and reports. An instruction manual will be a major project for the class.
- Write in narrative, expository, descriptive, persuasive, and critical modes
- Compose writing with attention to audience, organization, focus, quality of ideas, and a purpose.
- Use standard English practices of spelling, grammar and usage.
- Research information in reference materials using print, electronic databases, and online resources.
- Master handwriting and word processing skills.
- Grading will be based on assignments, journal entries, projects, tests, and quizzes
- Meeting deadlines is a critical life skill. All deadlines will be announced in advance. You are responsible for submitting your work on time. If work is late, points will be deducted.
- If you are absent the day of a deadline, the assignment will be due the following school day. If you know in advance you will be gone, you should hand in your assignment in advance.
- If you are absent the day of a test, plan to take the test the day you return to school. Extended absences will be given appropriate time to complete work.
- Refer to student/ parent handbook for rules on attendance, tardies, detention, etc.
Materials: Notebook, Pencil, Folder.
Textbook: Technical Writing for Success (1997)
No Credit 64 and below
Tentative Weekly Schedule:
- Week One: Classroom Introduction
- Week Two: Perspective Paper
- Week Three: Good News Memo
- Week Four: Bad News Memo and Persuasive Memo
- Week Five: Business Letter
- Week Six: Persuasive Letter
- Week Seven: Resume
- Week Eight: Letter of Application and Thank You letters
- Week Nine: News release
- Week Ten: Newspapers and Magazines
- Week Eleven: Visual aide presentation
- Week Twelve: Instructional Manual
- Week Thirteen: Instructional Manual
- Week Fourteen: Informative Speech
- Week Fifteen: Informative Speech
- Week Sixteen: Hospital Records
Schedule subject to change
- Each Friday will consist of a grammar lesson and assignment
- Employment communication skills will also be studied
- Daily Journaling will be utilized