The following information is for the 2020/21 School Year and will be updated to reflect the 2021/22 School year when guidance is received from the Minnesota Department of Education, Minnesota Department of Health, and the CDC
Dear Students, Staff, and Families,
I am honored to serve as your Principal this year. This plan prepared for all you could not have been made without the diligence and meticulous attention to detail I have witnessed from the wonderful staff here at GFW Junior and Senior High School. As we navigate this year together, please know that safety, equity, and responsibility are my top priorities to lead GFW Junior and Senior High School. I ask your help to support and encourage each other.
Our students, staff, and families are doing the absolute best we can give in a hard situation. We are going to work hard this year, but I know we are going to have a lot of fun too. The best part of these plans is that we get to be together again. If you have questions, concerns, or need conversation please do not hesitate to connect with me. A number of resources are listed below and we will update this website as needed and communicate every step of the way.
Current Learning Model (updated January 11, 2021) – In-Person Learning (Following Hybrid Guidelines)
At GFW we are very excited to have enough space in our buildings to allow all students to return every day, all day in the in-person following hybrid guidelines model. In the simplest of definitions, GFW’s in-person following hybrid guidelines model is all students coming to school everyday, all day with additional social distancing.
Hybrid learning allows students to learn by being present in the classroom as well as by engaging in a virtual classroom. There are different models of hybrid instruction. Explore these models closer.
- Station Rotation: Think elementary style centers.
- Lab Rotation
- Individual Rotations
- Flipped Classroom: Students get the content at home or in the virtual classroom and you apply the content in the classroom.
- Teachers will establish virtual classroom expectations for students to follow at school and at home.
- Teachers will utilize Schoology as the districtwide Learning Management System.
- Teachers will revamp their course scope and sequence to accommodate hybrid learning.
- Teachers will reflect the use of technology and Schoology in their syllabus that will be shared with the principal before school starts.
- As of January 11, 2021, students at the junior high will move from their spaced out learning locations back into their classrooms and senior high students will return in the building.
- All classes will utilize the learning pods for any overflow students in the classroom. This model is the same as how we started the school year.
- All families will still have the option to continue distance learning if they choose to do so.
If you have questions about the new learning model at the Junior and Senior High School, please contact your child’s teacher or Principal Brittany Galetka.
Please consult the Back To School guide for Parent/Guardian, and Student Commitments for this model
Distance Learning Option
Families may request distance learning as an alternative if they do not feel comfortable sending their students to school.
During distance learning:
- Google Meets and Schoology are utilized for instruction
- Families choosing distance learning while in person instruction is available will be asked to ensure that their student(s) join their classroom for instruction via Google Meet at certain times each day depending on each classrooms’ schedule and/or login to Schoology daily and complete assignments. Teachers will communicate this information to parents and attendance will be taken.
- When all students are in distance learning they will receive direct instruction through Google Meets and on Schoology
- Teachers will communicate with students daily and teachers and support staff will be available to assist students with their learning needs.
- Follow all applicable data privacy laws
A Message for our Distance Learning Families
- GFW Junior and Senior High School Back to School Guide
- Distance Learning Procedures and Attendance Guidelines
- Distance Learning Procedures and Attendance Guidelines – Spanish Version
- What is Schoology
- Flipped Classroom
- Flipped classroom with Schoology