Instructor: Ms. Beussman
Phone: 507-647-5382 ext. 2297
Available hours for extra help: Before school at 7:45 or earlier by appointment, after school, 2nd hour.
This class is designed to improve writing skills for everyday use beyond high school. The class focuses on nonfiction writing including the following: business letters, essays, reports, and resumes.
- Learn writing skills commonly used in business world and daily life.
- Compose writing with attention to audience, organization, focus, quality of ideas, and a purpose.
- Use standard English practices of spelling, grammar and usage.
- Research information in reference materials using print, electronic databases, and online resources.
- Grading will be based on assignments, journal entries, projects, tests, and quizzes
- Meeting deadlines is a critical life skill. All deadlines will be announced in advance. You are responsible for submitting your work on time. If work is late, points will be deducted.
- If you are absent the day of a deadline, the assignment will be due the following school day. If you know in advance you will be gone, you should hand in your assignment in advance.
- If you are absent the day of a test, plan to take the test the day you return to school. Extended absences will be given appropriate time to complete work.
- Refer to student/ parent handbook for rules on attendance, tardies, detention, etc.
Materials: Notebook, Pencil, Folder.
No Credit 64 and below
Tentative Weekly Schedule:
- Week One: Business Letter
- Week Two: Essay
- Week Three: Letter to Editor
- Week Four: Report
- Week Five: Press Release
- Week Six: Directions
- Week Seven: Business Letter
- Week Eight: Essay
- Week Nine: Letter to Editor
- Week Ten: Report
- Week Eleven: Press Release
- Week Twelve: Directions
- Week Thirteen: Business Letter
- Week Fourteen: Essay
- Week Fifteen: Letter to Editor
- Week Sixteen: Report
Schedule subject to change
- Each Friday will consist of a grammar lesson and assignment
- Employment communication skills will also be studied
- Journal writing will be utilized twice a week
- Raise your hand
- Follow the teachers instructions
- Be prepared
- Be on time
- Create a positive working environment