The communities of Gibbon, Fairfax, and Winthrop began sharing educational resources in 1987 and established the GFW School District in 1992. Still remembering the proud heritage of America’s heartland, the GFW Schools are renowned for extraordinary educational programs, unequaled by schools of any size.
GFW is recognized as a regional model for community-based education. Continuous Improvement Teams (CIT) of parents and staff collaborate to identify the needs of students based on data and implement evidence-based practices proven to increase student achievement. The PreK-5th grade Elementary School is located in Gibbon and the 6th-12th grade Junior/High School is in Winthrop.
Over 700 students are served in a safe and caring environment. The GFW facilities are attractive, up-to-date and very well maintained.
Nestled in the prairie of south central Minnesota, GFW students use progressive technology applications such as 1:1 devices, Seesaw and Schoology to access educational resources from around the world. Parents cite small class sizes, school-aged childcare, early childhood programs, and co-curricular programs as the desirable features of the school district. Still responding to the rich promises of the land, the GFW communities enjoy a quality of life that cannot be matched by larger cities.
- Our school is the heart of a unified community where students and community are interconnected.
- The foundation of a community of learners requires integrity and mutual respect where all voices are heard, considered, and valued.
- Education will take place in an inclusive environment with equitable opportunities for a lifetime of learning and earning for students of all backgrounds.
- In preparing our students for the future by engaging them in learning opportunities that meet their individual needs that are relevant for the 21st Century.
- Students will reach their full potential and become successful, responsible citizens in a diverse society.
The Mission of GFW Public Schools is to:
Provide an equitable and quality education that meets the individual needs of our students to thrive in the 21st Century.
Growing Future World Class Leaders.