Dear Students, Staff, and Families,
I am thrilled to be principal at GFW Elementary and looking forward to partnering with you in the 2020-2021 school year. While our main focus is educating students and helping them to achieve their potential, there are many new safety protocols that need to be put in place and followed as we face this global pandemic together. We will be following guidelines from the department of education (MDE) and the department of health (MDH). Regardless of which learning model a student is part of, our commitment to quality education and equity does not waver. We are looking forward to having students back in the school building, but we also look forward to working with those who choose distance learning. As we work together, I ask that you please contact me if there are questions, concerns, or challenges that take place throughout this school year. Communication, flexibility, patience, understanding, and collaboration will be the keys to our success.
This year will not feel or look like any other school year, but we will work together and commit to excellence in everything that we do. Please note that there are many resources listed below. We will continue to make updates as needed to this webpage and the back to school guides and promise to communicate every step of the way.
We are all in this together!
Current Learning Model – In Person Learning
The current learning model at GFW Elementary is in person learning for all students.
During in person learning:
- Students return to the school building in person
- Staff creates as much distancing as is feasible between teachers and students but are not held strictly to the six feet distancing during primary instructional time.
- Bussing–provide as much space between riders as possible recognizing that it may not always be possible to provide six feet of distancing on the bus.
- One class per grade level will eat in the cafeteria at a time on a rotation basis. The other classrooms will eat in their rooms. Students may remove their masks to eat.
- Students will be kept within their classroom or T-Bird team as they move around the building. Interaction with other classrooms will be limited.
- Six feet distancing will be marked by T-Birds on the floor as reminders for everyone.
Please consult the Back To School guide for Parent/Guardian, and Student Commitments for this model
Distance Learning Option
Families may request distance learning as an alternative if they do not feel comfortable sending their students to school.
During distance learning:
- Google Meets and Seesaw are utilized for instruction
- Families choosing distance learning while in person instruction is available will be asked to ensure that their child(ren) joins their classroom for instruction via Google Meet at certain times each day depending on each classrooms’ schedule and/or login to SeeSaw daily and complete assignments. Teachers will communicate this information to parents and attendance will be taken.
- When all students are in distance learning they will receive direct instruction through Google Meets and on SeeSaw
- Teachers will communicate with students daily and teachers and support staff will be available to assist students with their learning needs.
- Elementary Back to School Plan
- Distance Learning Procedures and Attendance Guidelines
- Distance Learning Procedures and Attendance Guidelines – Spanish Version
- Seesaw – PreK-5th grade families