As we work to provide a safe environment for all of our students, this page gives an overview of measures being taken by our various departments.
- All persons will need to self-screen prior to coming to a building.
- All persons entering the school will need to wear a mask per executive order 20-81 unless there is a note from a qualified, medical professional on file with the school. The school will work individually with students and families who are experiencing challenges to wearing a mask.
- All persons entering the building should wash or sanitize their hands upon entering a building.
- Masks may be removed while eating and during exercise.
- It is recommended that each student/staff member has five masks, one for each day of the school week; if not, masks will need to be washed prior to returning to school each day.
- The front offices and health offices will have limited masks for students.
- All persons will sign in at the office when entering the school.
- There is only one student allowed at a time in the health office.
- Per MDH, we are unable to do any nebulizer treatments in school during this time.
Calling in sick with Covid Symptoms
- All staff, students, and parents will be asked to self-monitor. If symptoms are present, contact your physician and for a COVID-19 test, if recommended.
- Report a positive COVID-19 test result to the school immediately.
- The school is a mandated reporter to the state health department. Positive COVID-19 cases will be reported, and the school health office will contact individuals for more information.
- If you are feeling ill, please stay home.
- GFW Schools are CIPA compliant and teach students the importance of digital citizenship.
- Internet safety policies include monitoring the online activities of minors.
- Students are educated about appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking websites and in chat rooms, and cyberbullying awareness and response.
- GFW Schools will use GoGuardian to support appropriate use of technology.
- GFW Schools will provide a 1:1 device to all staff and students to support learning.
- Students will not share 1:1 devices.
- GFW Schools will provide hotspots for families who are unable to receive Internet access.
- GFW Schools will utilize a learning management system for all grades.
- Students and staff will abide by all privacy laws while using technology.
- GFW Schools will train and support students and parents on how to utilize learning management systems.
The facilities staff has processes in place to ensure that rooms are cleaned and disinfected. Processes are as follows:
- Classrooms are cleaned and disinfected daily.
- There is extra hand sanitizer available for staff and students.
- Student desks will be cleaned between class periods.
- Daytime custodial staff will wear gloves.
- Extra cleaning/disinfecting in high traffic areas, hand railings, door handles, etc will be done daily.
- Ventilation controls will be operating to allow ample air exchange.
- All vacuums are equipped with HEPA filters to trap air pollutants.
Information on facility cleaning can be found at the following links:
- GFW Schools will follow the state agency guidelines for transporting students
- 2020-2021 Planning Guide for Schools Transportation
- In order to support social distancing, GFW Schools encourage parents to drive their child(ren) to school if at all possible.
- GFW Schools will follow state agency guidelines for disinfecting buses.
- All persons riding school district transportation is required to wear a mask per Executive Order 20-81
- Hub Locations:
- Gibbon: Elementary School
- Fairfax: Our Savior’s Lutheran Church
- Winthrop: Jr/Sr High School
- Shuttle Schedule: Back to School Bussing
- Individual route questions should be directed the transportation department
- GFW Food Service Staff will follow the Food Service Worker Safety Information: Guidance for School Food Programs.
- GFW Food Service Staff will serve food in a combination of clamshell service boxes, disposable trays, and lunch trays depending on meal service needs to help combat the spread of COVID-19.
- GFW Food Service Staff will use proper handwashing procedures.
- GFW Food Service Staff will routinely clean and disinfect work surfaces.
- GFW Junior and Senior High School students will rotate three different lunch schedules.
- GFW Junior and Senior High School students will eat in the cafeteria or auditorium stage.
- GFW Elementary will distance during lunch. One classroom will eat at a time. Classrooms will rotate through with some eating in their classrooms each day.
- Can I get meals if we elected to do distance learning?
- Yes, contact the school secretary or food services to start receiving meals.
Athletics and Activities
- GFW Schools is a member school of the MSHSL.
- GFW Schools will follow the guidance and direction of the MSHSL on league sponsored activities.
- Below are two resources used to guide GFW’s offering of league sponsored and co-curricular activities.
- MSHSL Covid Related Resources 2020-2021
- Sport/program specific guidance on how to facilitate the offering of a competitive season can be found here.
- Covid-19 Sports Guidance for Youth and Adults
This guidance document outlines prevention strategies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 during sports activities. This document is intended for participants of all ages, in sports activities organized by entities, associations, clubs, or organizations.